Hospitality, Professional Cookery, Work Based Learning
2 years with two intakes, either September or January.
City & Guilds Level 2 NVQ in Professional Cookery; RSPH Level 2 Health & Safety Certificate; RSPH Level 2 Food Safety Certificate; City & Guilds Level 2 Award in the Principles of Nutrition in Food Production.
ABOUT THE COURSE
In this 2 years diploma you will get food service and accommodation service knowledge first and then you will move to the kitchen studying professional cookery. If you pass both these years then you have the option of doing a third year in supervision and leadership in the department of your choice.
The advantage being skills are built on year on year making you university or employment ready at the end of three years.
In the first year your training will include:
Customer service skills
- Give customers a positive impression of yourself and your organisation
- Give accommodation & reception service
- Work effectively as part of a hospitality team
- Serve alcoholic and soft drinks
- Serve food at the table
- Maintain food safety when storing, holding and serving food
Basic cooking skills
- Prepare, finish and present canapés and cocktail products.
- Make and serve a range of hot and cold drinks.
- Finish simple salad and fruit dishes.
- Prepare hot and cold sandwiches.
In the second year, you will learn the essential cooking skills needed by chefs, cooking and presenting a range of food items in the various cookery methods which include:
- Prepare and cook stocks, soups and sauces.
- Prepare and cook fruit and vegetables.
- Prepare and cook meat and offal.
- Prepare and cook poultry.
- Prepare and cook fish and shellfish.
- Prepare and cook rice, pasta, grains and egg dishes.
- Produce hot and cold desserts and puddings.
- Produce paste products.
- Produce biscuit, cake and sponge products.
- Produce fermented dough products dishes.
Are you a girl 16-18 y/o unsure of which area of Hospitality want to go?
Are unsure of which specific area they want to be in?
Would you like to practice, feeling that university is not your road just yet?
If so this program will be perfect for you.
- You are an EU student or you have a European passport.
- You have GCSE English and Maths at least 4+ grade. However, each application will be considered on individual merit.
- You have completed a two day try out at Lakefield.
- You had a successful interview.
- You have two references.
National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs) are a qualification in competency style.
This means that assessment will be by practical skills testing, observation and theory-based exams.
The total cost of the course is: £1760.
You will be required to purchase uniform, chefs whites, knife set, and textbooks before the start of the course. Details will be sent out once you have been offered the place.
Financial help can be applied for through the College’s bursary fund once your application has been processed.